GOODY, Ky. – Plans for several Christmastime events were brought up at the regular monthly meeting Monday of the Tug Valley Chamber of Commerce (TVCC) held at the Steakhouse located at the South Side Mall at Goody, Ky.
Chris Dotson and Tonya Webb, two local volunteers who are active in local activities, addressed the TVCC.
Dotson talked about the Mistletoe Market and Small Business Saturday planned for the Mingo-Pike County area, which will be held Saturday, Nov. 26, from 2:00 to 6:30 p.m. If any vendors would like to participate and or sign-up they can call or stop by the Williamson City Hall 304-235-1510 and the booths are $15. Persons who are interested can also check out the event page on Facebook.
The group is asking businesses to decorate with a snowman for the “Snowman Slide,” which is similar to the recent Scarecrow Stroll.
Dotson and Webb hope that the Mistletoe Market can attract a huge crowd like the recent Spookfest on Halloween weekend.
“When we start talking about these events – it snowballs,” Dotson told the group. “We want to draw people into our downtown area, but not just here – but in the outlying areas too.”
They encourage any business in the Tug Valley to participate. “We want to have some unique vendors available. We are all in this together,” Dotson said. “We want to give our area an economic boost. We want people to shop local.”
There are several events planned, including a scavenger hunt for the kids and grown-ups, local musicians, crafts, Santa Claus, the lighting of a community Christmas tree and much more.
“We want everyone to feel like they are invested in our community,” Dotson added. “We want people to come to our area. Maybe to even stay the night or the weekend – we encourage all of the business owners to participate.”
(The Williamson Daily News will have more on this event later this week.)
Other things that were discussed or announced at the TVCC meeting were:
- · The Great White Way/Christmas Extravaganza on Saturday, Dec. 3 in downtown Williamson (parade, etc.)
- · The History Alive Performance (Cherokee warrior Ostenaco) on Wednesday, Nov. 16, at 5:30 p.m. at the Coal House
- · On December 10 a FREE movie night in downtown Williamson will be held. There will be hot chocolate and other goodies available
- · An economic development forum is being planned for January. More details will be released on this event at a later date. Tug Valley ARH CEO and TVCC Vice President Tim Hatfield is helping to organize this event.
- · The Tug Valley Road Runners Club has several races to coincide with upcoming events. This Saturday they will have the Southern Harvest half marathon/5-K in West Williamson. On December 3rd they will hold the Reindeer Dash in downtown Williamson. On New Year’s Eve they will host their annual race that starts around 12 midnight and runs into the New Year 2017. Contact Tim Caudill or Alexis Batausa about these events.
- · Trying to organize a tire cleanup for the Tug River in the Williamson-South Williamson area was also discussed.
(Kyle Lovern is the Managing Editor for the Civitas Media Mountain District including the Williamson Daily News and Logan Banner. He can be contacted at [email protected] or at 304-235-4242, ext. 2277 or on Twitter @KyleLovern.)