BELFRY – The Belfry High School Y-Club took several top honors at recent state Kentucky Youth Assembly Competition. “They worked extremely hard and represented our school well,” said Co-Sponsor Rodney Ferrell. “Watching our students speak passionately about real life issues in front of more than 1,200 of their peers makes the long trip worth it,” he added.
The following is a recap of top honor students:
- Austin Dillon, Matthew Lambert, and Wilson Harris’s bill received a high ranking and was passed by both the House and Senate.
- Matthew Mills, Reid Varney, Ethen Holzapfel, and Sara Browning’s bill received a high ranking and was passed by both the House and Senate and signed into law by the governor after successfully overriding a veto.
- JT Mills, Jacob Blackburn, Megan Lambert, and Carlie McCoy’s bill was passed by both the House and Senate and endorsed by the Lt. Governor.
- Lauren Hult received outstanding delegate award.
- JT Mills received outstanding speaker award.
- Belfry High School received delegation of excellence award.
The following students make up the Y-Club KYA Team: Kaley Long, Christian Long, Matthew Lambert, Carlie McCoy, Maddie Smith, Nick McNamee, Megan Lambert, Christen Justice, Austin Dillon, Jacob Blackburn, Noah McNamee,
Wilson Harris, Kayleigh Marcum, Dominic Gentile, Katelyn Brumfield, Ally Stanley, Matthew Mills, Abby Gannon, JT Mills, Lauren Hult, Sara Browning, Ethen Holzapfel, Aryn Adkins, Reid Varney and Hannah McCoy.
“This was a very successful trip for BHS Y-Club!” Ferrell said. Co-Sponsor with Ferrell is Fran Booth.