Williamson man arrested on child abuse, neglect charges

Rachel Dove rbaldwin@civitasmedia.com

March 13, 2014

By Rachel Dove


WILLIAMSON - An investigation into alleged child abuse by the Mingo County Sheriff’s Department resulted in the arrest of a Williamson resident.

Deputies M.J. Mounts, L.J. Thomas and P.A. Mounts were dispatched to a residence on Russell Steps in Williamson after Kathy Trout reported the alleged abuse and neglect of her children by Matthew Wayne Pierce, 24, who was identified as her live-in boyfriend.

According to the complaint, Trout woke up from a “dead” sleep to the sound of loud screaming coming from an upstairs bedroom of her residence. When she went to investigate, she claims to have seen Pierce physically abusing her 4-year-old child because he had urinated on himself.

Upon arrival, the officers said they spoke with Pierce and his brother and could detect a strong odor of marijuana in the upstairs portion of the home. The three children found inside were all without proper clothing in a cold-temperature environment. The 4-year-old was verified to have red whelps on his legs and buttocks, alleged to have been inflicted by Pierce.

The defendant and his brother had allegedly left the two older children in a room unattended while they were in another room playing video games. Officers said they saw a bag of marijuana and a pipe lying on a dresser where the males were, and an infant was also present, buckled in a baby swing. The brothers allegdly admitted smoking marijuana with the infant in close proximity to them while they were playing their game.

Child Protective Services was called to the scene and the children were removed from the home, to be takento Williamson Memorial Hospital for evaluation and treatment of injuries they had sustained prior to being placed in foster care.

Pierce was charged with child neglect creating risk of injury, child abuse creating risk of injury and conspiracy. The defendant was arraigned before Mingo County Magistrate Dee Sidebottom and was remanded to the custody of the Southwestern Regional Jail on a $60,000 bond.