August 4, 2013
EAST WILLIAMSON - An early evening fire on Friday on East Fourth Avenue in Williamson was extinguished before any major damage occurred, thanks to caring neighbors and a quick response time of the Williamson Fire Department (WFD).
Dolly Wallace had resided in her home located at 1006 East Fourth Avenue for many years. On Friday, a fire that is suspected to have started from an electrical problem with the exhaust fan over top the stove could have quite easily left the elderly woman homeless. Thankfully that is not the case, although the home owner did not escape minimal to moderate damage to her home due to the attic fire.
Smoke was seen billowing from the attic window by several people traveling on East Fourth Avenue and quickly alerted Wallace to the fire. Neighbors stepped in and tried to extinguish the blaze, but relinquished that chore to the professionals, as the WFD arrived on scene.
Most of the damage was confined to the attic of the home, although the ceilings in the portion of the home affected by the fire suffered water damage. Extreme care was taken by the firemen to create as little damage as possible, but that was no small task considering the location of the fire and the difficulty in reaching it.
“Throughout the years, this structure has been remodeled,” stated WFD Chief Jerry Mounts. “The fire was between two narrow walls and there was very little room to work in. We were successful in extinguishing the flames and we plan to remain on scene to monitor the situation to assure there is no chance it could rekindle.”
Eleven full-time and part-paid firefighters with the WFD responded to the scene with three engine companies, as well as the Mingo County Emergency Services ambulance. Seven volunteer firemen with the Chattaroy Department also responded, with one engine. Patrolman J. Marcum with the Williamson Police Department performed traffic control, and rerouted vehicles traveling in that area. Traffic flow was not possible on East 4th Avenue for approximately two hours until the scene was cleared.