Jeffrey Reynolds Sports Editor
September 24, 2012
PIKEVILLE, Ky. — The Pike County Health Department released its August set of restaurant inspections yesterday, with six establishments earning perfect scores and nine more requiring future follow-ups.
Normally, the health department inspects establishments twice a year, checking food storage, preparation, personnel, restrooms, water and other health conditions. Establishments are given a score at the end, denoting how well or how poorly they fared.
A perfect score is 100 percent and points are subtracted as violations are found: A score of between 85 and 100 percent indicates compliance with health department guidelines; scores between 70 and 84 percent means the establishment must be reinspected within 30 days and, if problems have not been corrected by then, could be closed; between 60 and 69 percent means the establishment has five days to request a hearing to show why it should be allowed to continue operating; and 59 percent or lower means an automatic and immediate closing if conditions pose an immediate health risk to the public.
Some certain conditions and practices, however, are considered potentially serious threats to the public’s health and must be corrected within 10 days. Asterisks note such deficiencies. Asterisks appearing before establishment names in follow-ups if corrections were not made and require other follow-ups.
The following are the scores:
• Subway of South Williamson, Goody, *84 percent: mayonnaise, meats, etc. in small reach-in cooler next to walk-in measured at 55 degrees. Items were within date and time marks; corrected by moving items to walk-in cooler.
• Little Brothers, Southside Mall, 96 percent.
• Gino’s Express and Tudor’s Biscuit World, Belfry, 95 percent.
• Happy Days Diner, South Mayo Trail, 88 percent.
• Shelby Valley Senior Center, Shelby Valley, 99 percent.
• The Extra Mile LLC, South Mayo Trail, 97 percent, 100 percent.
• Feds Creek Elementary, Feds Creek, 100 percent.
• Island Creek Grocery, Pikeville, 98 percent.
• Joe’s Diner, Robinson Creek, 97 percent.
• Subway #31421, U.S. 23 South, 93 percent.
• Special-T-Sweets, U.S. 23 South, 93 percent.
• Robinson Creek Elementary, Robinson Creek, 96 percent.
• Burger King, Pikeville, 94 percent.
• GF Johnson Elementary, Virgie, *89 percent: sanitizer at three-compartment sink wasn’t coming out of dispenser, very weak. Corrected, canisters were charged, concentration was correct.
• Dorton School, Dorton, 95 percent.
• Dairy Cheer, South Mayo Trail, 92 percent.
• Huddle House, South Mayo Trail, *75 percent: eggs stored above grill at room temperature. Corrected, destroyed at time of inspection.
• Giovanni’s, North Mayo Trail, *75 percent: improperly date marking, dates should be discard date, not preparation dates, spaghetti noodles were measured at 70 degrees, these foods were going to another store, foods must be 135 degrees of 41 degrees for transport.
• Phelps Senior Citizens Center, Phelps, 99 percent.
• Kimper Senior Citizens Center, Kimper, 100 percent.
• Good Shepherd Nursing and Rehab, Phelps, *95 percent: slicer was unclean, unsanitized.
• Chilly Willy’s Pizza, Phelps, 94 percent.
• Sunshine Dairy Bar, Caney Highway, 90 percent.
• Branham’s Citgo Inc., South Williamson, 96 percent, 100 percent.
• Cardinal Country Store #8, North Mayo Trail, 98 percent.
• Victory Baptist Church Child Car, Coal Run, 100 percent.
• Cedar Creek Assisted Living, Pikeville, 100 percent.
• L&M Mart, Kimper, 95 percent, 97 percent.
• Five Star Pizza, Second Street, 90 percent.
• Hometown Subway, North Mayo Trail, 91 percent.
• Family Food Mart, Freeburn, *81 percent: spoiled tomatoes in Coca-Cola cooler, several outdated medicines on shelf at time of inspection, motorcycle oil stored next to drinks (corrected during inspection).
The following are the scheduled follow-ups:
• Subway of South Williamson, Goody.
• **Huddle House, South Mayo Trail.
• Rusty Fork Cafe, Elkhorn City.
• Clevinger’s Snack Bar, Venters Lane.
• Long John Silvers, South Williamson.
• Wal-Mart Super Center #1505, Cassidy Boulevard.
• Giovanni’s, North Mayo Trail.
• Family Food Mart, Freeburn.
• Good Shepherd Nursing Home and Rehab, Phelps.